How to install Joomla Extension:
Posted by Hanh Chu on 10 September 2014 10:20 AM
There are 3 ways to install an extension. You can upload an extension, install from a directory or install from a URL
a. Upload an extension:
- Download the extension to your local machine as a zip file package.
- From the backend of your Joomla site (administration) select Extensions -> Install/Uninstall.
- Click the Browse button and select the extension package on your local machine.
- Click the Upload File & Install button.
- Note that modules and plugins must be enabled before they will work.
b. From a directory
- Unzip all of the files locally.
- Transfer the files (using FTP) to a folder in the install directory (for example administrator/components/com_installer/components) for the type of extension you are installing.
- Use the installer, but select "install from directory" indicating the correct folder name. This folder name should be an absolute path from the root of the filesystem.
c. From a URL:
This will install your extension from any URL as long as you give the full URL. (ex: http://domainname.com/your_extensionname.zip) The only problem with this option is depending on your connection speed and file size it can take quite a while to retrieve the file from an external site, which could cause installation issues.